Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Contemporaries for the Spec Fic Romance reader

So you want to read a contemporary...

If you're like me, you read paranormal or science fiction/fantasy romance almost exclusively. But if you're also like me, there are times when the mood for a contemporary strikes. Recently on twitter, I butted in on a conversation between and about this topic and ended up buying Below the Belt by Sarah Mayberry for my Nook Color reading pleasure. This was an easy choice for me to make, since her Anything for You (Harlequin Blaze) is one of the few contemporaries on my keeper shelf.

As I read this book and quite enjoyed it, I wondered what appealed to me as a SF Romance reader and writer. This was also intriguing to me because in addition, I don't enjoy boxing (both the hero and heroine are boxers). It's the world-building, of course! Mayberry does an exceptional job of creating a world, even if it's a "real world" contemporary. She's done her research. I felt as if I could understand boxing, the business and the personalities. I didn't get lost, there weren't too many details, just the right amount.

But that's not all. There's the obvious romantic tension, but there's also action. There are elements of physical danger. And suspense. How in the world could they make all this work?

Top all that off with a heroine who knows her business, she trains hard and well, she'd unapologetic about her sexual needs--yes! Completely unapologetic! And she doesn't change for the hero. He loves her as she is, and she doesn't get weak just because she falls in love.

So, if you're in the mood for some contemporary amid your paranormals and scifis, this is a great one.

Have any recs for contemporaries for the speculative romance reader?


3 comments:

Roni Loren said...

I love Lorelei James's contemporary romances because she does a great job building the world of rodeos and bull-riding. It's something I never thought I'd be interested in, but she sucks you into that world and makes it so interesting. (Along with writing some damn hot cowboy heroes, lol.)

Melisse Aires said...

So interesting you found a contemporary romance enjoyable due to the world building! I love the Robyn Carr Virgin River series for that reason.

I recently decided to try writing a contemporary, but unlike my previous failed attempts I am approaching this like speculative romance--building a world. Except this world is in small town Montana!

Brenda ND said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always looking for something new to read.