Friday, January 28, 2011

Date Movies

Last night, my husband and I watched the movie Knight and Day. Though it hasn't had great reviews (click on the movie poster to see reviews at Rotten Tomatoes), this was a great "date movie". Both my husband and I thought it was fun, despite a few obvious flaws. There was action, just enough romance for me and not too much for him.

There aren't many movies out there that really do the trick. We both enjoy action movies, so those movies are the usual go-tos when we watch the rare movie together, but when the movies don't add some humor, it's harder to overlook the flaws or things that don't fit with the plot. The thing about Knight and Day was that there was an edge of parody that made it fun while keeping the action moving forward. Taking a step back, it seemed to both make fun of action movies with impossibly-talented god-like spies, while celebrating them at the same time.

Parody is a difficult thing to get right. It doesn't always work. Take for instance, one of our other favorite date movies, Galaxy Quest. We both enjoy that movie (once again, only a bit of romance, which fits for both of us). I think they got it right, but some critics didn't get that film when it came out.

So, tell me, what are good date movies? Give me ideas of movies with action, a bit of romance, with good comedic timing, and maybe some parody. Sounds like a tall order, but I think the perfect date night movies are.

No comments: