- 1764 The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
- 1794 The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe, precursor of the Byronic hero.
- 1817 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
- 1847 Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- 1921 The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer
- 1938 Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- 1944 DuMaurier sued for plagiarism. Publishers cite formula as defense.
- 1947 The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer
- 1960 Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt
- 1960 Thunder Heights by Phyllis Whitney, first in gothic series by Ace Books
- 1964 Harmsel cites Northanger Abbey as burlesque.
- 1968 Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer
- 1976 “The Female Gothic” termed by Ellen Moers in Literary Women
You might wonder why I pick these dates...
More on that later!