Thursday, April 8, 2010

Georgette Heyer and the Gothic

If you've been wondering why I've been a little quiet lately, one of the reasons is a little bit of academic research I've been doing, primary area being Gothic Research. To help me with that, here's a little timeline I put together:

  • 1764 The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
  • 1794 The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe, precursor of the Byronic hero.
  • 1817 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
  • 1847 Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • 1921 The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer
  • 1938 Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
  • 1944 DuMaurier sued for plagiarism. Publishers cite formula as defense.
  • 1947 The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer
  • 1960 Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt
  • 1960 Thunder Heights by Phyllis Whitney, first in gothic series by Ace Books
  • 1964 Harmsel cites Northanger Abbey as burlesque.
  • 1968 Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer
  • 1976 “The Female Gothic” termed by Ellen Moers in Literary Women


You might wonder why I pick these dates...
More on that later!

16 comments:

Brenda ND said...

I'm interested in your research. Some of the dates I know, but I didn't know Daphne du Maurier was sued for plagiarism. Hmm. I'll have to come back and find out more. Thanks.

Jolie Cain said...

Ugh! I read those first two books in a college class.

Adelle Laudan said...

Interesting research. I don't think Some pretty heavy reading there. Good luck with it! Happy T13!

Alice Audrey said...

I had a copy of The Mysteries of Udolpho in my hands once, and even knew what it was, but was so busy with other research I put it back on the library shelf, and haven't seen it since.

Paige Tyler said...

Very cool! I used to totally love reading gothic romances as a teen!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Tatiana Caldwell said...

Interesting list. Curious to learn more about what you're researching.

Darla M Sands said...

Interesting! Thank you for sharing. Best wishes!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list, Ella. I love anything gothic, especially gothic romance. :) Happy Thursday!

Babette James said...

Great list. I loved reading Georgette Heyer and Phyllis Whitney when I was a teen. Happy T13

A. Catherine Noon said...

Okay, now I'm curious. Why'd you pick those dates????

Elise Logan said...

interesting list... and interesting topic.

I look forward to seeing more!

Heather said...

Your research intrigues me more and more. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Jennifer Leeland said...

Ooooh and with my new wip I'm writing down some of these names.
Thanks Ella!

Janice said...

I love research. In my book, Windswept Shores, coming out in June, I had to research Australian slang.

It sounds like to me your working on a Goth novel.

If you are, good luck.

Janice~

Sasha Devlin said...

I've heard of many of these, but haven't read any of them. I'm a bad Gothic Reader

Ella Drake said...

Ack!
The more on that later may be much later. These were dates I was drawing together for my thesis, which as of this week is on hold for at least a year.
Still, I'll be posting more on this topic soon.