Thursday, March 4, 2010

Things you may not know about me

  1. I love to dance.
  2. I'm a horrible singer. Don't ever stand next to me on the dance floor while I'm belting out a Madonna song. I'll hurt your ears.
  3. My favorite author is Toni Morrison. She came to speak to my Women's Lit class while I was in undergrad & I got a smidgen of a crush. She's beautiful in person and her voice is smooth as velvet. She came to Atlanta when the Olympics were there & I dragged my then boyfriend, now husband, to hear her. I love her voice so much, I got a book on tape of her reading one of her books. Turns out, such a wonderful voice doesn't keep you awake while you're driving. Oops.
  4. Some of my favorite short stories were written by Issac Asimov, but I can't read his longer work.
  5. I used to work at a large telecommunications company as a programmer. I've got lots of skills in web stuff, video stuff, & phone stuff. I try to forget all that.
  6. I used to work for a US Senator. I almost got fired for getting frustrated with a caller who repeatedly called to badmouth my boss. I lost my patience one day. Yeah, I've got a limit.
  7. I've ridden in a Black Hawk helicopter. Drove a tank, shot a machine gun and rode a zip line down from a paratrooper jump tower, but I was too chicken to bungee jump on my honeymoon. Hey, it was my honeymoon! Not ready to die so early in the marriage!
  8. Number 7 is about as interesting as I get. Really.
  9. I used to talk on the phone as a teenager for three hours or more. Now I can't deal with being on the phone for five minutes.
  10. I want to go to L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland where they uncovered a Norse settlement in the '60s. Then, onward to Iceland, baby!
  11. I grew up in football country (that's American football, not that soccer thing). I thought there was nothing like being in a stadium full of 60,000 screaming fans. But, I think I like live hockey more. Go figure.
  12. I run, hit baseball, and fight like a girl.
  13. I can parallel park a minivan like nobody's business.
Alright then, tell me something about you!

17 comments:

Ms Menozzi said...

Hey, I run, hit a baseball and fight like a girl, too! LOL! Imagine that! ;)

While you may not enjoy soccer, would you consider giving rugby a try? (That's a pun, by the way.)

Happy TT!

Ella Drake said...

Ms Menozzi,
Don't get me wrong, I like soccer. I had a roommate who played in an indoor soccer league and that was totally fun to watch.
OK, I don't get the pun. I need to look it up!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Oh I soooo agree with you about talking on the phone. I hate it too! I have no idea why I did it so much when I was a teenager. LOL Happy Thursday, Ella!

Adelle Laudan said...

A revealing list. You are officially, a very interesting person.
Hmmm something about me?

I once sawed a guys (wooden) leg off on stage to the music, Born to Be Wild. We entered a 'gong show' and won 1st place

Happy T13!

Ella Drake said...

Stephanie,
Nowadays, I'm afraid my friends and family will think I'm rude because I just can't stay on the phone. No idea when this changed for me.

Adelle,
OK, that's pretty cool. Sounds like it deserved first place.

Alice Audrey said...

What a bummer that Toni Morrison's voice won't keep you awake while driving. I depend on books on tape for road trips.

Sasha Devlin said...

Nice list. Hmm, I used to have problems setting off metal detectors. I had to be wanded at the Arch 3 times before they'd let me go up.

Paige Tyler said...

Very fun TT! I think I'll borrow the idea! LOL!

I like to have the labels face front of stuff in the fridge and cabinets!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

A. Catherine Noon said...

I can do the full Lotus position while swimming... o.O

:)

Hey, you asked.

Happy TT!

Jennifer Leeland said...

You can parallel park a van? I think I have a girl crush on you.

Especially since I, too, have difficulty with Asimov's longer stuff.

Sure we aren't twins?

Elise Logan said...

call me when you're ready to go to Canada. I want to go, too.

something you don't know about me. hm. I met Al Gore in the hallway of the Senate Office Building and he told me a joke. a funny joke, actually.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm with Ms Menozzi - give rugby a try. :)

I live in New Zealand where bungee jumping is big and I'm not jumping. Never ever! Oh, we could stand next to each other on the dance floor and sing. It would probably clear the place.

Tatiana Caldwell said...

I too love to dance. I also LOVE to sing although I'm not very good, unfortunately. I've worked as a programmer for years but now I'm an IT manager so I tell other folks what to program - but I still do some programming sometimes for fun.

Your #7 is very interesting.

At least you can hit a baseball - I usually miss.

I can't parallel park to save my life! *laughs*

Nice list, Ella!

Ella Drake said...

Alice,
I know! But her voice is so soothing, it was more like a lullaby. I've come to realize that I like mysteries and suspense books for driving. The suspense is good to keep me awake.

Sasha,
That's got to be inconvenient! I hate when they run the wand over me.

Paige,
You've got me beat. I can't find anything cuz labels are all over the place.

AC
Dude. I did ask!
That's some impressive flexibility.

Ms Leeland,
You are quite welcome to have a crush on me as I have one on you.
:)

Elise,
I'm callin'
You met Al Gore in the hallway of the Senate Bldg? Cool. I saw his head once when he was getting into a car.

Shelley,
The time I declined bungee jumping was in NZ. It seemed like the thing to do there, but I just couldn't do it!
Go All Blacks!

Tatiana,
I think being the IT manager was where I was headed if I stayed in programming, and now that I've been out a few years, that's what I'd probably try to do if I went back, but I like getting into the code myself.
Parallel parking is a necessity around here. Pure defense.

Bryn said...

You've done some cool things!

I love Toni Morrison too, though I like her earlier work better. I went to a reading of hers once...she's such a good reader of her own work.

Jolie Cain said...

Love this stuff! Ah, let me see...I once tried to dry my panties in the oven and forgot about them. They were nylon. "nuff said. lmao!

Heather said...

I think visiting the Norse settlement in Newfoundland would be cool, but probably wouldn't compare to the Iron Age farm I visited in Norway. (And there's your one thing about me...grin.) Oh, and I hate talking on the phone now too, especially at work.