Thursday, March 11, 2010

Have you read an ebook this week? You should.
  1. Check out the history behind Read and E-Book Week.
  2. There are many classics available at Project Gutenberg, which I've been a fan of since around 2006 or so. Project Gutenberg has loads of free, legal, no-longer-under-copyright ebooks.
  3. Jane Eyre is available at Gutenberg in txt, html, epub, mobi, and other formats.
  4. The last ebook I bought was Doubled Plots: Romance and History by Susan Strehle and Mary Paniccia Carden. I'm actually kind of excited about how the ereader may impact the future of text books, making them more easily attainable and more affordable.
  5. Ebooks are better for the environment. I'm all about the environment, trust me on this, but that's not why I read ebooks. The main reason I read ebooks is for the convenience. If I want a new book at midnight, voila.
  6. Nathan Bransford, agent blogger extraordinaire, blogged about ebook skeptics here.
  7. I have a list of free Sci-Fi Rom ebooks here, which needs to be updated in the near future because I've found a few new ones to add.
  8. This month, All Romance Ebooks is having a 25% Omnibucks rebate on all Samhain Publishing titles. This includes my Samhain title, The Forbidden Chamber.
  9. Last week and the week before, my erotic paranormal short story, Scent of Cin was a top 25 best seller in Romance at Fictionwise. Two weeks! I'm still in awe. Thanks to everyone who bought my story!
  10. I have ebooks published with three wonderful publishers, Cobblestone Press, Liquid Silver Books, and Samhain Publishing, the last of which will also publish my novel in print this August.
  11. I'll be signing for the first time as an author at the 2010 RT Booklovers Convention, and I'll be signing ebooks!
  12. The last ebook I read was Hearts and Minds by J.C. Hay. This is from one of two Space Opera Anthologies from Samhain. I really enjoyed it.
  13. I'm holding a read an ebook giveaway for all my ebooks this week. Scroll down to my last post to see more. Also to celebrate, I'll be at the Samhain Cafe tonight 7:30-8:30 EST.
    Come visit!

21 comments:

Ms Menozzi said...

One day I'm bound to cave and get an e-reader so I can enjoy some ebooks. For now, I'm sticking with the paper-and-glue format (it gives me a reason to go out of the house!).

Happy TT!

sophiaparkwood said...

I love ebooks! I got an ereader for Christmas and I'm not sure I will ever go back to print books. Congrats on Scent of Cin! Happy Thursday!

Inez Kelley said...

I want an ereader! I am just waiting on technology to work out the bugs.

Elise Logan said...

I'm reading the Fob Bible this week - which I probably wouldn't have picked up except that it was mentioned because of e-book week.

I read ebooks on the computer, not a reader. I'm all stone-age like that.

Ella Drake said...

Ms Menozzi,
I still love browsing the bookstore and holding the books in hand. Nothing really compares to that.

Sophia,
I love ebooks, but I'm still about half and half on print to digital.
and...Thanks! I'm very happy about Scent of Cin.

Inez & Elise,
I still don't have an ereader. I read on pocketpc/internet tablet/laptop/blackberry.

Mary Quast said...

I keep asking for an ereader... but nobody has bought one for me yet. Maybe Mother's Day! Oh... don't forget to take a camera to your signing event!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list. Good luck with the book signings! I can't wait to do that. :) Happy Thursday!

Jennifer Leeland said...

YAY!!!! I love "Read An Ebook" week.

Paige Tyler said...

They sound good!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Alice Audrey said...

You have a lot of great stuff here. I'm going to have to go check out the Free Bean Library more closely later.

Bryn said...

Great list. I love ebooks cause I can just read them on my iPhone!

Jolie Cain said...

I have waaaaay too many ebooks, but at least they take up less space than my print books. lol!

Heather said...

I have a few ebooks, but find it difficult to read them on the computer. My eyes just tend to wander...

Shelley Munro said...

I love ebooks and read mine on a Palm. One day I hope to get a new reader...

Janice said...

I love books; the feel of them in my hands, even the smell you just can't get from an ebook.

Having said that I've started buying, downloading and reading ebooks. Most of my writer friends have ebooks. My first book, Windswept Shores, come out in June from Pink Petal books is an ebook.

SO I have been reading ebooks, but I print them out. :P

Happy TT and happy St. Patty's day.

Janice~

Sasha Devlin said...

I haven't read one this week, but I will shortly! I love ebooks, and can't believe it took me so long to find them.

Brenda ND said...

I'm just beginning to get into e-books. I like bathtub reading and I haven't figured out how e-books can work with that. Grin. But your stories and so many other good ones are e-books so I'll have to figure something out.

Tatiana Caldwell said...

Cool list. I've read several ebooks, but I'd read a lot more if I had an e-reader.

I definitely plan to buy one soon - I just can't make up my mind which to get. That Courier that's coming from Microsoft looks interesting though, I think I will see if I can hold out a few more months.

Oh and congrats on making the bestseller at Fictionwise!

Alexia Reed said...

I haven't gotten an ebook reader yet but I do plan to get one. I buy ebooks and just read them on the comp at the moment.

Mike said...

Just to remind folks -- try out the Baen Free Library, CDs, and of course, webscriptions.

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm
lots of free books

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
More free reading!

http://www.webscription.net/
Not free, but reasonably priced...

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold $5
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, especially Local Custom, Scout's Progress, Mouse and Dragon (with a nod towards Conflict of Honors and all the rest)

Hope you enjoy them!

Ella Drake said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by to comment.
And thanks, Mike, for the links.