Thursday, February 11, 2010

13 lines from Daphne

For Thursday Thirteen this week, I thought I'd post the first thirteen lines of my ongoing serial about the adventures of the space-faring Daphne. There are three short reads available on my website. Fourth installment scheduled for Valentine's Day. Hope you enjoy!

from Space-D, a Science Fiction Comedy Horror:

***

The gun in her shoulder holster made her back ache, but no way in hell would Daphne open the hatch and step out onto Planet H311 without it.

Thumbs hitched in her coverall straps, she sneered at the portal. The planet’s red sky roiled with an electrical storm that lit up the plexi. "I might be stuck on hell, but you suckers are the pit’s end of hell’s throwbacks. And you’re going down."

Too bad nobody heard her trash-talk. Then again, she still wasn’t any good at it.

With a shaking hand, she slid the locking pin out of the emergency door’s push bar.

When she heaved it open, the hatch clanged against the outside hull and reverberated down the empty antechamber. The echo reminded Daphne of her status. Alone. Stuck on a terraformed planet settlement gone wrong. This enviro-struct her only shelter in a world teeming with carnivorous worms larger than her daddy’s pet python and meaner than his crazed, outlawed Rottweiler robo-dog.

12 comments:

RKCharron said...

Thank you for another installment!
All the best,
RKCharron

Jennifer Leeland said...

Oooo nice and intriguing. I love it.

Alice Audrey said...

Yep, she'd going to have to work on that trash talk. Good excerpt!

Paige Tyler said...

Sounds great!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Inez Kelley said...

Nothing wrong with talking a little trash!

Ms Menozzi said...

Good stuff - intriguing!

And yes, the "trash talk" made me laugh. I don't think that's what she had in mind. ;)

Elise Logan said...

i remember reading this before. I like Daphne. She's got backbone and grit.

A. Catherine Noon said...

Oooh! I love it! Looking forward to another installment!

Shelley Munro said...

Sounds great, Ella. I'm keeping far away from those worms and the robo dog.

Sasha Devlin said...

I'm going to have to check the rest of this story out. I *loved* her trash talk!

Heather said...

Nice little excerpt, Ella! Enjoy your weekend!

Ella Drake said...

Thank you to all. I really enjoy writing Daphne. She's so unlike all my other heroines.