Thursday, February 4, 2010

13 of my favorite paranormal/fantasy beings

The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again
  1. My favorite type of fantasy being, since I first started reading, is the elf. I still love those characters from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien and the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.
  2. Quickly following that is the wizard. Of course Gandalf falls on that list, but so do the many variations of Merlin from the retellings of the Arthur legends that have always captivated my imagination. And of course, Harry Potter and friends.
  3. Also of LoTR fame, I fell in love with Strider aka Aragorn, a Ranger. So much so, that for years I had to have a Ranger character in my sad attempts at playing Dungeons and Dragons. (It was a sad attempt because I rarely actually played. Mostly I planned to play). A ranger is a woodsman and skilled warrior. Brings to mind a Robin Hood sort of character.
  4. Dracula. This is that very specific vampire I'm referring to, and even further, the character as portrayed by Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
  5. Werewolves. Not the horror types but the alpha hero type like Clay in Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series.
  6. Alien. The original movie was made of awesome.
  7. Predator. Yes, I loved that original movie as well. Perfect predator creature, alien killing machine. Great stuff. Not a fan of Alien vs. Predator franchise, though.
  8. Cyborg, or variants thereof. Kel-Paten, a bio-cybe in Linnea Sinclair's Games of Command is one of my favorite romance heroes.
  9. Dragons. I love dragons. Here's my guilty little secret, I have a shelf full of stuffed little dolls. If I were to ever get a tattoo (not happening, I hate pain), I'd get a dragon one.
  10. Unicorns. If we're talking guilty little secrets, I was one of those little girls with stuffed unicorns, little figurines, and even a t-shirt or two.
  11. Valkyrie. Women warriors. 'Nuff said.
  12. Mermaids/Mermans/Selkies. There's something about these water creatures that has a silkiness to it. Water and skin.
  13. Long living warriors. Warriors of Atlantis, cursed knights. Immortal suffering heroes with tons of delicious faults. Bring 'em on.

15 comments:

Elise Logan said...

Valkyries are my new fave. Kresley Cole sold me.

I love fantasy characters - enjoy reading fantasy quite a lot. And, yeah, Rangers are awesome.

Ember said...

I love elves too! (Which is why I write about them >G<)

I've still got to read Kresley Cole's valkyries books. Sounds great.

Ella Drake said...

Elise and Ember,
I love Kresley Cole's books. Some of my all time favorites!

Jennifer Leeland said...

My absolutely favorite character in the Shannara series is Brin.
Like Aragon, she doubts her "heritage". I love those kinds of characters.

Paige Tyler said...

I so love Strider, too! He's my absolutel favorite character in LOTR, especailly the Viggo version, which is exactly how I pictured him when I read the books! LOL!

Oh, and I so totally have a thing for Clay from the Otherworld Series! Yummy! He and Elena are my favorite couple in the series!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Ms Menozzi said...

I've always been a fan of Wizards and Witches, in the mythological sense, I mean.

I love the idea of conjuring and controlling forces with only one's mind and hands, willing things into existence (or out of it), etc.

I'm not sure if that says something about me or not, though. LOL!

Heather said...

Fun topic, Ella! Though I've never been as big on fantasy as other genres, I've always loved books with witches and dragons.
WordTrix

A. Catherine Noon said...

Awesome! I'm sitting here grinning at my computer; I agree with nearly everything you list! I love the bit about the tattoo, almost laughed out loud (which, since I'm sneaking a peak, is a little oopsie, but hey...)

:) Happy TT!

Alice Audrey said...

Hi think wizard is my favorite, followed by druids, dragons, and fighting damsels.

Sasha Devlin said...

I didnt care much for elves, and there there was Legolas. (and I'd wear that on a t-shirt)

and I'll jump on the Kresley Cole bandwagon. Her Valkyries are AMAZING.

Shelley Munro said...

I like feline shapeshifters. They're my favorites, although I could happily read about most of the beings on your list.

Stephanie Adkins said...

Oh yes, ditto on Lord Of The Rings and werewolves. :) Happy Thursday!

Nikki M said...

Dragons and werewolves are my favorite! Although there's something to be said for Aragorn, at least, if not Rangers in general. Nice list!

Adelle Laudan said...

Elves and hobbits, fairies and ogres, I loved these things growing up. My daughter who devours books didn't even know who/what the hobbit was/is.
Guess what book I ordered for her?
Fun post. Happy T13!

FiremanPat said...

I have to admit, I love most of those fantasy characters also! Very good list, with great description of what they are for the ones who aren't familiar! Happy TT!

My TT is at firemanpat.blogspot.com