Thursday, January 28, 2010

DarkShip Thieves by Sarah A. Hoyt

DarkShip ThievesI recently read Darkship Thieves, a new science fiction novel by Sarah A. Hoyt. Here are 13 things I really enjoyed about this read.

  1. This gritty SciFi revolves heavily around a sweet romance.
  2. The heroine, Thena, is a kick-ass, no apologies given, messed up chick.
  3. As the story unfolds, Thena's story is intriguing and gives great insight into why her character is the way she is--which, without giving away spoilers, is because of her relationship with "daddy dearest."
  4. The hero, Kit, is as strong and fragile as Thena. He's been genetically enhanced to be a human with strong feline characteristics. Made me want to curl up with him.
  5. Kit's character is endearing and sweet but in no way takes away from his strength. He's not "alpha" but is portrayed as someone who can take care of himself and those around him. He's wounded from a previous relationship, willing to sacrifice himself, and is generally just a strong, vulnerable hero.
  6. The romance itself is written in a way that has broad appeal. It's closed door as far as intimacy goes, but (and this is a tough sell for me) it doesn't feel lacking that we don't see in the bedroom.
  7. The universe is unique. Spaceships, space stations, colonies, genetic manipulation. It has it all in one neat package.
  8. The futuristic Earth scenes have an Urban Fantasy feel mixed with a bit of skater punk.
  9. The genetic manipulation elements of the story are fairly creepy.
  10. I could actually recommend this to my husband because the romance isn't superfluous and the "kissing" scenes wouldn't offend his sensibilities.
  11. The worldbuilding around mating for Kit's kind is believable in a way that doesn't feel too "fated".
  12. The Space Opera style is sweeping and engrossing.
  13. There are twists and turns that took me on a wonderful ride, not the least of which is a flying broom chase scene.


13 comments:

Stephanie Adkins said...

Sounds like a great book, Ella! I hope you have a wonderful Thursday! *Hugs*

Inez Kelley said...

Sounds like she made a huge fan!

Alice Audrey said...

You do a great job of describing the book without totally giving it away.

Ove said...

Love the book and you have written an excellent review. Mind if I link to your review from my own?

Ella Drake said...

Thanks, Stephanie, Inez, and Alice.
Ove,
Thank you for your comment. You can certainly link to my review.

Jennifer Leeland said...

Looks good. I've had my eye on this one, but you've convinced me.

Paige Tyler said...

Sounds like an interesting book!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

EvMick said...

I've read the book. The only problem I have is that I've READ the BOOK. Now I can't look forward to READING THE BOOK (unless I reread). The Joy,gratification,and wonder is past..........

.......unless...there's going to be a sequel. In which case I can look forward to READING THE BOOK.

Read the BOOK!!!!

Elise Logan said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Shelley Munro said...

It sounds like my kind of book. I'll have to check it out.

Lin Wicklund said...

What a great, non-spoiler review!

IMO, DarkShip Thieves is everything you described. Having read it, I can't wait to hear more about Thena and Kit - and the whole universe that Sarah Hoyt has created.

Sasha Devlin said...

I'm always looking for a good book. Thanks for the recommendation.

user@example.com said...

You just sold me on my first ebook, and by a new author for me too.

Thanks, it's good!