- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. 1847 (The one that started it all for me)
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 1818. (parody of Gothic)
- "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. 1892
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. 1938
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
(Despite this being the one that I know the first line by heart, its the one I find too depressing for a re-read. Hoping to avoid using it directly in the thesis.)
- Thunder Heights by Phyllis A Whitney 1960.
- Window on the Square by Phyllis A Whitney 1960.
- Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt 1963.
- Darkwater by Dorothy Eden 1963.
- From Secret Places by Miriam Lynch 1973.
- Rainbow in the Mist by Phyllis A Whitney 1989.
- After Twilight by Dee Davis 2001.
- Moonshadow by Penelope Neri 2001.
- Bonus read: Bewitched by Sandra Schwab, Gothic-like book released in 2008 that rekindled my interest in Gothic.
Anyone have an interest in Gothic Romances? Read any of the ones released in the 60s and 70s that renewed the genre? Any recommendations?