Thursday, December 31, 2009

Raven Shifter Romance

The raven shifter in Paranormal Romance isn't common. So, why would I pick the raven as a hero for The Forbidden Chamber? For me, the symbolism of the raven in the Gothic novel had much to do with the choice. The dark and moody setting. The dark and moody hero. The dark and moody...
You get the picture.
Here are 13 points to ponder about the raven:
  1. Ravens are familiar in myth and lore in civilizations from the Vikings to the Native Americans. The superstitions around the bird are various and worldwide--from the belief that the raven created the world, to the superstition that the raven foretells death. Lots of mystery and fantasy around this avian.
  2. The Tower of London has its own myth, that the tower/monarchy will fall if the ravens leave their roost there. As symbols of a tower known for executions, it's no surprise that the imagery of ravens in a Gothic tower came about.
  3. That master of the Gothic himself, Edgar Allan Poe penned the famous "The Raven" with the chilling and well known phrase: Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  4. Ravens are frequently included on covers of Gothic Romance novels. That hint of gothicness sets a tone and mood immediately.
  5. Ravens have a complex societal structure, their flock is called an unkindness, and they are known to be monogamous and mate for life (well... as far as any animals mate for life.)
  6. Ravens maintain strong familial relationships. They are intelligent and playful. They collect shiny/new objects as juveniles but as they get older, they avoid new things. Sounds sort of human, doesn't it?
  7. A shifter who flies, hunts, mates for life, has a fantasy-like myth/lore background, and is dark and dangerous. Who can resist?

    Here are six stories featuring raven shifters:

  8. The Forbidden Chamber by Ella Drake. Available now from Samhain Publishing as an ebook, in print August 2010.
  9. Last of the Ravens by Linda Winstead Jones. Just finished this enjoyable read with the unique concept of a man who can shift into a flock of ravens.
  10. Kiss Me Deadly by Shannon Stacey.
  11. Raven by Alison Paige
  12. Heart of the Raven” by J.C. Wilder in the two-book anthology Paradox I (ebook) / Sacrifice (print)
  13. Grounded: a Hayle Raven Story by Ella Drake. This is a followup short story for The Forbidden Chamber.
    Grounded is a freebie, available at the Samhellion, here.

What comes to mind when you think of ravens? Do you know of any other raven shifter romances?

14 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

I think going Raven is an excellent idea.

MK Mancos/Kathleen Scott/Kate Davison said...

I've also heard a folk of ravens called a conspiracy. Thus, the title of one of my future fantasy novels, A Conspiracy of Ravens.

Shelley Munro said...

I think ravens would make an excellent story. I haven't read any before, but now I want to.

Adelle Laudan said...

I love a raven as a shifter. You can only read so many cats, wolves etc lol

Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

Elise Logan said...

Ravens are such interesting birds. I think one thing most people don't realize is how large ravens are - especially when compared to the oft-seen crow. And their beaks are fearsome things.

Stephanie Adkins said...

I love anything to do with raven's. They've always been one of my favorite birds. :) Happy New Year, Ella! *Hugs*

Inez Kelley said...

I think it is spooky sexy!

Jennifer Leeland said...

Awesome! Love this.

jamiebabette said...

I love shifter stories and a raven is a great idea. Happy New Year!

Ella Drake said...

Thanks Alice, Shelley, Adelle, Stephanie, Inez, Jennifer, and Jamie!

Kat, I'd love to read Conspiracy of Ravens. Is it out?

Elise, Ravens are definitely interesting. I learned so much while I was researching. They are definitely huge & they live for quite a long time. The ones they keep at the Tower of London live 40 years or so.

Nikki M said...

An unkindness of ravens - what a great phrase! (I like conspiracy, too) I agree with the others that ravens make great shifters.

Thanks, Ella!

A. Catherine Noon said...

I love this idea for a TT! What a fun, inspiring list! Thank you!

Happy New Year!

Janice said...

That sounds like some of the dark broody gothic movies I use to watch as a teen.

Happy TT and Happy New Year.

Janice~

Felicia Holt said...

There's this phrase that sometimes occurs on rune stones, about feeding the ravens, indicating battle. Like on a stone erected in the memory of someone going plundering in Russia it might say: "he gave food to the ravens in the east". I love the sound of that.

They're very ominous birds, somehow.

I think i said it before, but I love Katherine Kerr's Deverry-books and she has a raven shifter (one of the books is called The Black Raven).