Thursday, December 17, 2009

Boy tested and approved

Just in time for holiday book shopping, these are books my boys recommend:
  1. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, 1-5) by Rick Riordan
    Both boys enjoyed this series from beginning to end. Not only that, it's the only set of books that they've lent out to friends, who all enjoyed them as well. Another mother, whose son is not a reader, was shocked when he read The Lightning Thief and said he "got" it. Highly recommended.
  2. Redwall (Redwall, 1-21 and still going) by Brian Jacques
    This series is the favorite of my oldest.
  3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (and the complete series) by J.K. Rowling
    This is middle son's favorite.
  4. Magyk (Septimus Heap, 1-5) by Angie Sage
  5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney
  6. Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism by Georgia Byng
  7. The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, Hal Iggulden
  8. The Forests Of Silence (Deltora Quest, 1-8) by Emily Rodda
  9. The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1) by Holly Black, Tony DiTerlizzi
  10. My Teacher Is an Alien by Bruce Coville
  11. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
  12. 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson
Bonus-Goblin Quest by by Jim C. Hines This and the second in the series will soon make an appearance for the holidays. shhhh. Don't tell my boys.
I have a feeling these books will be favorites soon.


The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, Book 1)Redwall (Redwall, #1)Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)The Dangerous Book for BoysMy Teacher Is an Alien (My Teacher Books)Inkheart (Inkheart, #1)100 Cupboards (The 100 Cupboards, Book 1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)The Forests Of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog DaysMolly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon)

13 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

There are some great books around for kids these days. I've purchased some of these for my niece and nephew.

Heather said...

Looks like a handy list to bookmark. I've only heard of four of these, one series of which I'm in the middle of now.
My post

Inez Kelley said...

Marking some of these as well!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great books! My son loves the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series. He loved Inkheart too. :) Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

Jennifer Leeland said...

This is GREAT Ella, thanks. My kids loved the Percy Jackson series. "INKHEART" is SCARY!!! It's so dark and such.
I had to quit reading it before bed because they both had nightmares.
They both love "IRONHAND"by Charlie Fletcher.

Ella Drake said...

Shelley, I know. I wish some of these books had been around when I was a kid. But I had Lord of the Rings and the Shannara books.

Heather, my kids read so fast that we're getting very familiar with what's out there.

Inez, hope so!

Stephanie, we're constantly on the look out for new Wimpy kid books.

Jennifer, we'll definitely check out Ironhand.

Mary Quast said...

LOL My son has every single title! He has a library in his bedroom.
Happy TT.

Adelle Laudan said...

What a great list. All too often I find the boys being left behind when it comes to book favs. I'll be passing this along for sure.

Happy Holidays!

Elise Logan said...

Munchkin is not quite ready for these, but I'll keep them on file. With her daddy and I for parents, she's going to read in self-defense.

A. Catherine Noon said...

AWESOME! I was thinking, boy-tested salaciously, but this is actually a perfect TT for me. My stepson turns 18 in two weeks. (How did THAT happen???) And I have nephews and friends with kids and they all think since I have Joshua I should automatically know what boyz like to read. Joshua reads Manga, but these are great ideas! Thank you!

Alice Audrey said...

You can get your boys to read? The only thing mine would recommend is some Star Wars stuff. He enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but not enough to reread them.

Janice said...

Harry Potter is the only one on your list I read, and I had read it to my daughter when she was younger.

Happy TT.

Janice~

Lynne Roberts said...

I'm always looking for books to tempt my son to read.

Thank you for this list!

~Lynne