Thursday, November 12, 2009

13 Twisted Fairy Tales

Twisted fairy tales are a favorite of mine. Maybe it's that taking the familiar and giving it a kick. Maybe it's the fun of seeing how an author can take something well-known and make it new. Or, maybe it's taking a familiar character and seeing him/her in a new situation. Whatever the reason, I love twisted fairy tales. Here's a list of 13 twisted tales.
  1. Changing Thumbelina, short story by Emily Ryan-Davis. If you're a fan of erotic romance, do yourself a favor and go get this short story. You'll never regret spending that $1.49! This is the retelling of Thumbelina. The story is unique, creative, hot, and the characters are unforgettable. Truly.
  2. Stardust by Neil Gaiman is basically a refashioning of fairytales & not necessarily a twist on a specific well known one, but I like the feel of the fairytale world he created. Awesome stuff.
  3. Candy Houses by Shiloh Walker, Grimms are guardian angels and Greta gets a shot at her HEA. This is the first in a series.
  4. I could seriously list more than 13 books by Mercedes Lackey alone, but for the sake of keeping this list short, go check out a list of her works, or start with the fantasy series Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms. Have much love for this series.
  5. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. Newbery award winning retelling of Cinderella.
  6. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. I think that Cinderella may be the most popular tale for refashioning, but that's just a guess.
  7. Nancy Madore's erotic series of bedtime stories for women, Enchanted, Enchanted Again & Enchanted Dreams.
  8. Beauty and the Beast has been retold countless times in Romance. Here's one list of books that follow this theme, compiled by Romantic Times. I'll just point out: A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss, simply because she's the author who brought me to Romance.
  9. I've seen a few erotic stories of Snow White and all those dwarves.
  10. Red (plus Scarlet & Crimson, the books in the Dead World series) by Jordan Summers. Futuristic Paranormal Romance, twist of Red and the big bad wolf.
  11. Bluebeard's Egg by Margaret Atwood (even if you haven't read it, obvious that the title short story in this collection is a twist on Bluebeard. Or maybe that's only obvious if you've heard of, or read, Bluebeard.)
  12. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Many may guess, especially given the cover of some versions (or images from the movie pictured to the right), that this story is a twist on Red Riding Hood. But this story also has twisted elements of the Bluebeard fairy tale.
  13. The Forbidden Chamber, my own twist on Bluebeard.

17 comments:

Ms Menozzi said...

Hmmm... The only one I've read on this list is "The Handmaid's Tale", which I thought profoundly disturbing, and perversely possible.

I'll have to look up Stardust for sure - I'm finding that I like a lot of Gaiman's work.

Happy TT!
Ciao for now! :)

Adelle Laudan said...

I didn't know about McGuire's take on Cinderella. Fun list. Happy T13!

Inez Kelley said...

How did I not know your FC was based on Bluebeard?

Ella Drake said...

Ms Menozzi, Stardust is also a wonderful movie, if you want to see Gaiman on screen.

Adelle, Yep, he did a Cinderella!

Inez, Now you know! :) It's amazing how an utterly irredeemable character can spark an idea for a story.

Elise Logan said...

Another interesting one is Orson Scott Card's Enchantment, which is a throw on Sleeping Beauty with a nod to Russian fairy tales.

I love Beauty and the Beast tales. I'm a total sucker for them.

Emily Ryan-Davis said...

I lo-o-o-o-ved The Forbidden Chamber and Elise's recommended Enchantment.

And I loved Changing Thumbelina, of course. :D So glad you enjoyed it!

Paige Tyler said...

Very interesting TT!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Alice Audrey said...

That's a lot of twisting.

Jennifer Leeland said...

Ah the irony. I'm just finishing a "Beauty and the Beast" Sci Fi rendition.
I'll have to look up ERD's book.
Awesome TT.

cmtorrens said...

I've only read one of these, "Stardust". I have been meaning to pick up "The Handmaid's Tale", a friend of mine said it was very good.

A. Catherine Noon said...

GREAT list! Crunchy and lots to see. Thanks for taking the time!

Shelley Munro said...

I have Jordan's Red in my to-read pile. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. I've always enjoyed Cinderella tales myself.

Heather said...

I've only read The Handmaid's tale, but did not know it was supposed to be a take on Little Red Riding Hood. Like Ms. M I remember it being quite disturbing and all too possible.

Nikki M said...

I haven't read Stardust, but I've seen the movie. Loved A Rose in Winter, though. Haven't read much Kathleen E. Woodiwiss lately, but The Wolf and the Dove was one of the first romance novels I ever read.

I haven't played much with fairy tales lately. Thanks for the reminder!

Lexie said...

It has been noted, by a variety of people, that I read entirely too many re-told fairy tales. I blame this solely on 'Fractured Fairy Tales' and 'Once Upon a More Enlightened Time' since both those just...ruined me for wanting the stories to stay 'true' to themselves (not that I don't love those too).

Not a book, but I enjoyed (most of) the 10th Kingdom mini-series. Ran a little long, but it was enjoyable! As far as your list goes, I've read about half of them. Stardust (its Gaiman, he's practically required reading in my circle), Mercedes Lackey, Ella Enchanted, Dead World series (I'm getting Crimson tomorrow!) and I'm in the process of reading The Forbidden Chamber!

I can name more, but my brain is shot at the moment XD

Lexie

Janice said...

I've read or seen a lot of those, but were some I've never heard of before.

Happy TT.
Janice~

Lynne Roberts said...

Hi Ella,

I loved Changing Thumbelina too! I am so behind it writing a review for it. Thanks for the reminder.

I also loved Stardust. The world Gaiman creates is wonderful.

Kathleen Woodwiss is who brought me into romance too! I loved her book Shanna so much I was determined to name my first born Shanna for many years.

I will be checking out some of these.

Thanks for a wonderful T13!