Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009

  1. Today is Blog Action Day, first held in 2007. BAD organizes bloggers to write about a particular cause every year on October 15.
  2. This year, more than 7,000 bloggers around the world have signed up to blog about Climate Change.
  3. Climate Change itself is a non-political concept. Just think of volcanic eruptions and the impact from the ash in the air. Large eruptions can cause a planet-wide cooling for several years.
  4. The term Climate Change has been co-opted into political debate regarding environmental policy, but I'm not going there.
  5. I have an interest in the idea of humanity's stewardship of the planet from a pure plot bunny perspective.
  6. A plot bunny is an idea that runs away from you and multiplies until it cannot be denied and you must write it. Really, its an obsessive little critter. It usually strikes when you're working on something else.
  7. Post-Apocalyptic movies and books frequently involve Climate Change. Perfect example: Road Warrior & its desert wasteland.
  8. From a story perspective, Climate Change in the extreme, a planet-wide extinction level event, could happen from man-made environmental policies, war, asteroid impact, volcanic eruption, or alien attack. (hey, we're talking fiction, here)
  9. I don't think this is what BAD meant when they asked for people to take action and blog about Climate Change. But since I have this plot bunny, all I can think about is post-apocalyptic romance. Yep. I'm going there. I'm writing one. It's the new black.
  10. Well, I do have serious thoughts on the subject. Several of my stories involve environmental concerns. In Wolf-Bitten, the werewolves are allergic to all petroleum products (including gasoline) and live in a commune in the wilderness.
  11. In Scent of Cin, global warming has created a rift in a barrier over Earth, allowing demons/hellions to come through on the summer solstice.
  12. Firestorm on E'Terra (upcoming release) involves a mishap when humans fail to create a livable atmosphere on a planet (terraforming).
  13. If I stretch here, I can even say that The Forbidden Chamber involves a kind of climate change when the evil of a setting creates darkness. The weather is dreary, overcast, until the evil is banished. Then the fog lifts.
How's that for Climate Change?

16 comments:

Heather said...

Just think of volcanic eruptions and the impact from the ash in the air.

Which is what caused the Little Ice Age. As bad as the last couple winters have been, it feels like another one is coming, despite global warming. Great post!

Shelley Munro said...

Climate change is a fascinating subject. I'm not sure if I agree with everything that's said because as you say many of the changes are caused by natural events.

Ms Menozzi said...

I won't wade into any debates on this topic, but I'll say this - I like how you think! LOL!

Way to spin for promotion! Good thinking, and besides, you've incorporated a heavy idea into your fictional worlds. Excellent work!

Happy TT!
Ciao!

cmtorrens said...

Great post. I'm seeing plot bunnies hopping in every direction now.

Happy T13.

Ella Drake said...

Heather, I'm trying not to think about winter, much less an upcoming Little Ice Age.
Brrrr.

Shelley,
I do think the term has become politicized, which is too bad in many ways.

Ms Menozzi,
As a Lit major, I have this undying urge to discuss what's in my stories, for what reasons, etc. If I really gave in, it wouldn't be promo, it'd be, um, probably boring.

Chris,
I do have a difficult time with the plot bunnies. They are constantly trying to get out of control.

Jennifer Leeland said...

Awesome.
I love using climate change in fiction.
"Dune" is my favorite sci fi book and the climate is a HUGE part of that series.

Adelle Laudan said...

Brilliant! lol I'll be sure to participate next year.
Happy T13!

Angeleque Ford said...

Great post, interesting. And now must push back the plot bunnies before they mutate and multiply.

Cambria Dillon said...

Post-apocalyptic romance, huh? Nothing says "let's get naked" like a little mass destruction coming at you. I dig it!

Mary Quast said...

I've never heard of BAD. Thanks for the post. Love how you show off being a "green" writer. Hugs!

Happy TT.

Paige Tyler said...

Very cool TT!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Alice Audrey said...

I love the phrase "plot bunny." It happens to me all the time.

Climate change is a fantastic cause to focus on. You know with my early snows I'm feeling it.

Inez Kelley said...

BRING ON THE ICE AGE. What? I am hormonal.

Charlotte McClain said...

I love disaster stories! (Plot bunnies I could do without. Thanks.)

Elise Logan said...

What interesting uses of the concept. Nice job.

Janice said...

That's great you add it to your story line. I'm a child of the seveties so climate change and stories like Road warrior or Omega man have a special place in my heart.

I've done that with a couple of stories. Wish me luck selling them.

Happy TT.
Janice~