Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sword Totin' Women

I blogged about this almost exactly two years ago today. And it's true just as much today-- I love books with warrior women. Here are 13 sword totin' women:
  1. Cinnamon Murphy, the heroine in my short story release, Scent of Cin -- Oct. 2 from Cobblestone Press. Cin fights hellions with her sword and martial skills. (erotic paranormal romance)
  2. Myla, in Inez Kelley's Myla by Moonlight. Myla is a protector, a shifter, and magic, all rolled into one. (fantasy romance)
  3. The Light Bearer, by Donna Gillespie. The heroine, Auriane is a warrior, captured and trained as a gladiator by the Roman Empire. (historical fiction that reads like fantasy, romantic elements)
  4. Karigan G'ladheon in Kristen Britain's Green Rider series. (fantasy)
  5. Tatiana in Eve Kenin's Hidden (futuristic)
  6. Skye/Mariah in Marianne Mancusi's Moongazer (futuristic)
  7. Mac in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (urban fantasy)
  8. Kerowyn in By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey. Actually several of Lackey's heroines apply. (fantasy)
  9. Rhapsody in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series. This is adventure fantasy of the big sweeping kind and the romance is integral. The only problem I have with this series is that it went too long & has been kind of left hanging. I can highly recommend the first three, written as a comprehensive trilogy, but you may want to stop there. Rhapsody is a wonderful, smart, sword totin' heroine & her characterization is one of the strongest I've read in fantasy fiction. (fantasy with romantic elements)
  10. Éowyn from Lord of the Rings. I love Éowyn. When I read the trilogy as a pre-teen, I wanted her to win the heart of Aragorn. But, she got her own HEA, so all ends well. (fantasy)
  11. Jirel of Joiry, the first sword and sorcery heroine from several stories written my C. L. Moore in the mid to late 30s. (fantasy)
  12. Red Sonya. This may be cheating a little, since she's a comic book heroine rather than prose fiction, but no list of warrior women could be complete without her. Just sayin' (fantasy-comics)
  13. Last, but certainly not least, there's the anthology series with many a warrior woman heroine, Sword and Sorceress started and edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley. This series was started specifically to promote the strong female lead. (fantasy)
If you want more imagery, check out this collection of Warrior Women art.
What woman-with-a-sword book rocked your socks?

22 comments:

cmtorrens said...

Wow, nice T13. I think I'll have to read some of these. I'm a sucker for strong woman so long as they aren't over the top.

-Chris

David Bridger said...

Myla by Moonlight is on my TBR list!

Inez Kelley said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! #2 Thanks and sword totin' women kick ass!!

Brenda ND said...

I've got two more warrior women for you. Harry, yeah she's a girl, from "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley and Maxine Kiss from "The Iron Hunt" by Marjorie M Lui. Happy TT!

Ella Drake said...

Chris, I'm a sucker for strong women books, too & like you, I like it real, not over the top. Well, as real as it gets in Fantasy.

David, you'll love Myla!

Inez!!!!

Brenda, thanks for additions. I have one I left off the list, that I loved as a girl, but I can't remember the name of it! I'm hoping someone will list it. LOL

RKCharron said...

Wow what a great post.
I LOVE your list.
I'd add on of my all-time favorite Sword-wielding women:
Morgaine from C.J. Cherryh's Gate series (begins with Gate of Ivrel).
:)
Thanks for sharing.
All the best,
@RKCharron
xoxo

Adelle Laudan said...

Very kewl Thanks for the link to the pics. Loved it.
Happy T13!

Penny Watson said...

Justed finished Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning. Yowzah! I love how Mac has morphed from a prissy-ass, pink nail polish-loving girly girl, into a black leather-wearing ass-kicking woman warrior. Way cool!

Jennifer Leeland said...

I love gun totin' heroines. LOL.
Great list! I've read a bunch of these.
(No surprise. I think we'd have similar tastes)

Stephanie Adkins said...

I agree, Ella. I love books (and movies) with warrior women in them. Great list!

Alice Audrey said...

You keep good company. :)

Keith Melton said...

<3 Sword Totin' Women. ^_^

Brienne of Tarth from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

She's a favorite of mine.

Yvette Davis said...

Oh! Way to plug Myla by Moonlight! Totally going to read that soon!

sophiaparkwood said...

I love sword totin' women as well Ella. Myla is in my TBR pile as well! Great list! Happy Thursday!

Paige Tyler said...

Cool TT!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Whew! I was getting worried until we got to Lord of the ERings. Fainlly, one I've read! *g*

My Blog

Ella Drake said...

@RKCharron
I've read C.J. Cherryh, but not the Gate series. More books for me to check out!

Adelle, thanks. I loved those pics, too.

Penny, thanks for recommending Dreamfever!

Jen, I love "woman with a gun" books and movies, too. I'll need to make another list!

Stephanie, warrior women rock! We need more movies, huh?

Alice, thanks!

Keith, I've heard great things about George R.R. Martin, but haven't read him yet. I've mostly read from first my dad's, then my husband's SF/F shelves & nary a Martin book there!

Yvette & Sophia, yes, read Myla! It's truly an awesome book.

Paige, thanks for stopping by.

Heather, LOL. I admit, some of these aren't well known, though I do believe Haydon, Gillespie, and certainly Moning have hit some best seller lists. :)

Ms Menozzi said...

When I was young, I often felt frustrated by the lack of strong women in the fiction I was reading. It wasn't until I got older and was allowed to branch out a bit I discovered a few to enjoy.

However, I still felt (and still feel) there need to be more warrior women for us to emulate. Thanks for the list! I'm copying them down for later use. :)

Ciao!
Happy TT!

Flicka Holt said...

Growing up, I was always on the look-out for swordwielding heroines. I remember Eowyn being the one light in the massively male cast of LOTR.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm going to have to add some of these to my to-read list. I like strong heroines.

Ella Drake said...

Ms Menozzi,
Yes, there was a definite lack of strong women, but I did find a few out there. Thanks in part to Marion Zimmer Bradley. Mists of Avalon is still one of my favorite books.

Flicka,
Uh oh, don't get me started on LOTR & women! Still, I loved Eowyn.

Shelley,
Hope you read some and enjoy!

Taranaich said...

"Red Sonya. This may be cheating a little, since she's a comic book heroine rather than prose fiction, but no list of warrior women could be complete without her. Just sayin' (fantasy-comics)"

Robert E. Howard's original Red Sonya (who've very different from the comic version, though far more awesome) first appeared in "The Shadow of the Vulture," a short story. She's a prose heroine.