Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Post-Apocalyptic Movies

Here are 13 post-apocalyptic movies I have lined up to get me in the mood to write a story. (In no order)
What happens after the world, or civilization as we know it, ends?
  1. Escape from New York
  2. Resident Evil I, II & III
  3. Road Warrior
  4. The Postman
  5. Planet of the Apes ( I put this on the list with reservation, because I've never really gotten into it, but it's heralded as best of the best in p-a movies. So, here it is.)
  6. Waterworld (Okay, this movie kinda sucked, but--the director quit in the middle of production, and that's when the movie started sucking, in the middle of the movie. I actually really got into the first half before the movie went nuts)
  7. 12 Monkeys
  8. The Matrix
  9. The Terminator (sorta--we only see glimpses forward into the post-apocalyptic world)
  10. The Stand
  11. Tank Girl (this movie is considered to be really bad. Gets bad reviews. Gets panned. But something about Lori Petty's character appeals to me).
  12. Three animated movies: Wall-E, Titan A.E. & NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind
  13. Bonus--The Omega Man & I am Legend
    The Omega Man is an older movie based on same story as the new movie starring Will Smith, I am Legend. This is a bonus cause I haven't seen either one, but I now have I am Legend sitting on the shelf, ready to go.

20 comments:

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list, Ella! I love The Matrix. :) Happy Thursday!

Inez Kelley said...

I am ashamed to admit I have seen exactly ONE of these. I will slink away now.

http://talesfromthecrit.wordpress.com/

Hailey Edwards said...

I'm with Inez. I have seen Terminator, but that's it. I just don't watch TV or movies very often. Too many good books to read, you know?

David Bridger said...

If loving Waterworld is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

There. I've said it. :)

Love Twelve Monkeys and Escape From NY too. Some good movies on this list. Enjoy your research!

ParaJunkee said...

You know, I actually liked Tank Girl, the kangaroo thingy people freaked me out though.

Adelle Laudan said...

Great list. I Am Legend, is one of those movies I revisit from time to time. Have fun! Happy T13!

Brenda ND said...

I've seen most of these, but I'm still surprised to realize there are so many post-apocalyptic movies. Happy TT!

Elise Logan said...

Oooh, good list.

You missed one of my faves: Logan's Run. Awful, just awful. lol.

sophiaparkwood said...

I have yet to see any of the Resident Evil movies. I agree on Tank Girl, it got bad reviews but I'm not sure the movie really is bad. My kids love WallE so I have seen it about a hundred times. Great list. Happy Thursday.

cmtorrens said...

I love these movies. I've seen all but Omega Man. 12 Monkey's is one of my all time favorites. Loved that movie, though, all of them are excellent. :)

Happy Thursday!

-ChrisQ

Ms Menozzi said...

Wow. I didn't realize I'd seen so many films of a post-apocalyptic nature! Hmmm... Makes me wonder - if I broke down my themes what the main one would be, throughout?

Hmmm...

Happy TT!

Paige Tyler said...

I don't usually like those kind of movies, but I do like Escape from New York and Planet of the Apes! Oh, and the first Matrix!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

W.Robinson Mason III said...

If you are willing to watch Tank Girl then I promise I won't suggest Cherry 2000. ;)

For a comedy take and some extra cheese you might try Ice Pirates, too.

Road Warrior and Escape from New York. Not sure it gets much better than that!

In Japanese Animation there are two that come to mind - The Fist of the North Star, and Ergo Proxy.

Alice Audrey said...

Great list!

(Alice busy putting 12 Monkeys and Tank Girl on her must-watch-list)

Cambria Dillon said...

Matrix is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I really enjoyed all 3 Resident Evils, although the first was the best. Milla still kicks major booty though. And I was really impressed with Will Smith's performance in I Am Legend. It was basically a one-man movie most of the time and he really pulled it off. Great list!

Shelley Munro said...

I haven't seen a single one of these. I keep meaning to get I Am Legend but haven't gotten around to it.

Heather said...

I've only seen three of these (1, 8 & 9), mostly because this type of movie doesn't usually appeal to me. Wouldn't "Demolition Man" also qualify? Interesting movie/T13 theme, though!

Julia Smith said...

Some of my favorites on here!

Road Warrior
Original Planet of the Apes
The Matrix
The Stand

Sounds like they're going to give you a story that's already intriguing me...

etchinstone said...

Okay, I LOVED Titan AE. I'll admit there were some slow points, but I honestly credit it for getting me interested in seeing more science fiction.
Happy Thursday!

Janice said...

I've seen all of these, but only part of Omega man when it was shown once on regular TV back in the seventies.

Happy TT.
Janice~