Thursday, August 20, 2009

13 links on SFR, Science Fiction Romance

Last week, a few posts related to Science Fiction Romance caught my attention & I thought I'd throw together a list of posts that help define or illuminate elements of that genre.
  1. Defining the Genre: Science Fiction Romance
    This is from the blog, Love Romance Passion, posted by guest blogger Heather Massey (more from her below). Excellent definition of the genre. A must read.
  2. A followup to the above post, Jennifer Leland discussed Things I should know…and don’t.
  3. A blog post that appeared just a few weeks ago on Dear Author -- REVIEW: [SFR Classics] Dragon Bones / Dragon Blood by Patricia Briggs written by ジェーン(Jān). Note about this post, some of the books under discussion I would classify as Romance Fantasy or Romantic Fantasy, but it's all good. :)
  4. And... a reaction to the post at Dear Author, by Kimber An at Enduring Romance. Why I Don't Love All Science Fiction Romance. For the record, I love SFR and Futuristic Romance of all kinds. These stories only disappoint me if there is an element that truly fails, like any book. I do however, because I love the genre, give more leeway to stories in these genres. I simply love them all.
  5. Speaking of Dear Author, the blog appeared on my SFR radar again with this past week's review of Jess Granger's Beyond the Rain (a book I have in my hot little hands but haven't had time to read, yet). In the review and comments, there's a short discussion of whether or not a book could be considered a recommended read simply because it's SFR.
  6. These recent developments go hand in hand with a few older posts that I'd noted in the past. First, a comparison of character driven SF and SFR by Danger Gal.
  7. Short definitions of the subgenres of SF/F Romance, as defined by FF&P authors. This outlines the difference between Futuristic and SF Romance.
  8. A Sequential Tart interview of Linnea Sinclair (linked on the page listed in #7). This article was one of the first I read, giving me an introduction to "Science Fiction Romance."
  9. Various authors/bloggers explain their favorite subgenres of SF/F at SF Signal. Heather Massey explains why she loves SFR.
  10. Speaking of Heather Massey, her Galaxy Express is dedicated to SFR and every post is full of wonderful, flavor filled goodness. It's one of the few blogs that is an auto-read for me.
  11. If you've an interest in writing futuristics or SFR, another blog to bookmark is Alien Romances. Lots of in-depth craft articles there. Phenomenal resource. Um, maybe it shouldn't surprise anyone that I've bookmarked a few articles by Linnea Sinclair, but seriously, the articles on this blog are great. Check it out.
  12. An older article at Speculative Romance Online (no longer active) with an interview about the genre. Of note, this quote by Rickey Mallory: "I think Science Fiction Romance as a genre is probably doomed. Now stay with me here... for some reason people (particularly editors and marketers) are not interested in something called Science Fiction Romance." That interview is from 1998. While I can't predict that SFR will breakout into the next sweeping fad, I do think it's around to stay. Thank goodness. It's been over a decade since that quote & SFR is still here. Still, that interview is relevant and points out one of the reasons I'm grateful for small press/epub to both get my reading fix, and as an outlet for my SFR.
  13. I've considered making next week's Thursday Thirteen a list of SFR writers & books I love. In the meantime, here's an article (once again, by Heather Massey) about my favorite book (Games of Command) by my favorite SFR author, Linnea Sinclair. The Tor.com article hits on many reasons why I love this genre in "The Six Billion Dollar Cyborg".
Happy reading and Happy TT!

19 comments:

Heather Massey said...

Wow, that was pretty righteous! Thanks for the plugs, Ella!

I second the recommendation for writers to check out the craft advice at Alien Romances. There's a lot of stuff, it's free, and just as good as anything you'd find in a paid workshop.

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list, Ella! I don't think I've ever read science fiction romance before. I may have to give it a shot. :) Happy Thursday!

Ella Drake said...

Heather,
My pleasure! And yep, the craft posts on Alien Romances are simply fantastic.

Stephanie,
Go get Games of Command! I think it's the best book to introduce anyone to SFR. It's not part of a series, so no pressure that you're missing something. And, it has one of the most memorable couples I've ever read. The hero is so incredibly strong and so incredibly fragile at the same time.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

And "FINDERS KEEPERS" by Linnea Sinclair. That book is AWESOME.
These are awesome links, Ella! Some I hadn't seen! YAY!

Zora Stout said...

And here I was thinking 'maybe sci fi romance with aliens and the like aren't that popular since all I hear about is werewolves and vampires'

Those links are amazing! Thank you for sharing them!

Cambria Dillon said...

What a great compilation! I'll have to check out Alien Romances...
Happy TT!

Paige Tyler said...

Cool TT! And my new sci-fi erotic romance came out this week! LOL!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Alice Audrey said...

I have an SF Romance I tried to put in the Paranormal section of RWA chapter contests. Big mistake. No one understood the SF aspects. I'm marketing it as pure SF.

Mary Quast said...

I grew up reading sci-fi and love reading sci-fi romance. I think I'll be kept busy for a while now that I've landed on this blog.

Have a Happy TT.

Mine is at http://maryquast.blogspot.com/

Adelle Laudan said...

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of SF. Then again, it's been many years since I picked up one to read. Maybe I need to give it another shot.
Great list. Happy T13!

sophiaparkwood said...

Great list Ella. My next stop? Alien Romance.

Heather said...

An excellent compendium of resources for those interested in SF Romance.

Flicka Holt said...

Oh, I have to bookmark this and go back and read all of those when I have the time!

I haven't read that much SFR, but as I love SF and romance I should probably check it out.

Like my TBR pile needed to grow! ;)

Elise Logan said...

Heh. SFR is a fun genre, engaging different parts of the brain than most genres. There's a lot of tiny real-world detail that goes into SFR that doesn't go into fantasy, suspense, or pretty much anything else. It makes the world building very challenging - and authors that get it right are a great read.

Brenda ND said...

Thanks for the useful links. I can't wait to find out about Alien Romances.

Shelley Munro said...

Wow, this is great timing. I'm thinking of writing another SFR. I'm going to keep all these links in a safe place.

David Bridger said...

This is a keeper! Thank you. I've bookmarked this post.

Alexia Reed said...

I'm going to have to definitely keep this in mind. There looks like a lot of great links here to read. :) thanks!

Yvette Davis said...

I like these! Please post them at RD's too. Can we sticky them?