Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gothic Romance

Despite having a small mountain that represents my To Be Read stack (thanks in part to the recent RWA conference), I have recently hit used book stores in search of old Gothic Romances. I have this thing called a thesis that absolutely must be done this year, and since I not only have a large academic interest in the area, but I also have a Gothic Romance coming out this year, I thought I'd focus in the area. Here are 13 sources I've found, all Gothic Romance, deciding factor of the recent ones being that they happened to be in the used book stores I trolled.
  1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. 1847 (The one that started it all for me)
  2. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 1818. (parody of Gothic)
  3. "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. 1892
  4. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. 1938
    Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
    (Despite this being the one that I know the first line by heart, its the one I find too depressing for a re-read. Hoping to avoid using it directly in the thesis.)
  5. Thunder Heights by Phyllis A Whitney 1960.
  6. Window on the Square by Phyllis A Whitney 1960.
  7. Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt 1963.
  8. Darkwater by Dorothy Eden 1963.
  9. From Secret Places by Miriam Lynch 1973.
  10. Rainbow in the Mist by Phyllis A Whitney 1989.
  11. After Twilight by Dee Davis 2001.
  12. Moonshadow by Penelope Neri 2001.
  13. Bonus read: Bewitched by Sandra Schwab, Gothic-like book released in 2008 that rekindled my interest in Gothic.

Anyone have an interest in Gothic Romances? Read any of the ones released in the 60s and 70s that renewed the genre? Any recommendations?

12 comments:

Cambria Dillon said...

Totally agree with your assessment of Rebecca. So good, but I just can't do a re-read. Great list and a bunch on there I'll need to check out and add to my ever-growing TBR list.
Happy TT!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Very cool! Victoria Holt was my introduction and I loved her.

Alice Audrey said...

I've only read two of these. Most of the rest are completely new to me.

Adelle Laudan said...

I'm ashamed to say I own Jane Eyre and Rebecca and have never read them. Yikes. I better get my sh*t together lol Good luck on the thesis and happy reading!

Inez Kelley said...

I can't say as I have read a gothic romance. hmm

Paige Tyler said...

I don't really read Gothic romances, but it sounds like you have a great list!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Christina DeLorenzo said...

I don't recognize a lot on this list, but I loved Jane Eyre when I was younger and have read a couple by Victoria Holt - great stories.

http://christinadelorenzo.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

I love Gothic romances. I've read the first four and have the last in my TBR, but have never heard of the rest of these. One I remember reading a couple times back in HS that I think qualifies is THE SHADOWS OF CASTLE FOSSE by Jill Tattersall. Would love to get my hands on a copy of that again!

Shelley Munro said...

Victoria Holt was my introduction to gothic romances, too. My book The Second Seduction has gothic tones. :)

Janice said...

I think Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Dark Shadows was the earliest Gothic I remember seeing.

Happy TT.
Janice~

Lauren Murphy said...

I always get introduced to something new on Thursdays. I don't think I've ever read a Gothic Romance but the idea sounds interesting.

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list, Ella! I love gothic romance. :)