Wednesday, July 22, 2009

13 things I learned at the 2009 RWA National Conference

  1. Never drink a beverage while listening to Linda Howard speak.
  2. Taxes are complicated & a little scary, but writers should educate themselves (or speak to an accountant/CPA). Do your research, get what you're entitled to, and avoid an audit.
  3. Vampires are out. No, we can always use more vampires. Angels are in! No, Angels are the new vampires & there's no market. There's no future in Futuristics. Futuristics are the next vampires, ready to explode as the next best thing. OK, what this really means is... don't write to the market, write what you love, but please, whatever you do, you need to understand the market. Hope that didn't make your head spin too much.
  4. Meeting people face to face is scary, wonderful, and fun. Some people are exactly how you'd expect in person & some, not.
  5. Jade Lee had a fan girl moment when she saw Jim Butcher.
  6. I had a fan girl moment in 2007 when I asked Rachel Gibson to sign her book. This year, I managed not to embarrass myself. Barely.
  7. Catherine Asaro's novella “The Spacetime Pool” won a Nebula & placed in the Prism. Can't tell you how much I think that rocks!
  8. Ann Aguirre's last name is pronounced "Ah-GEAR-ay"
  9. Cliches. Learn to recognize them in your writing. ugh. Have much revising to do, but thanks to some wonderful workshops, I 'm ready to break out the red pen.
  10. Learned that as far as online promotion goes, do what you like & what you're comfortable with. If you like to blog, blog. If you don't, don't.
  11. Wearing pantyhose when you're going to be on your feet all day, does help you avoid blisters and aching feet.
  12. Characterization, characterization, characterization. Different techniques work for different writers, but in the end, be sure those characters are real.
  13. Never get between a romance writer and free books.

13 comments:

Stephanie Adkins said...

Sounds like you had alot of fun. I can't wait to go. Hopefully next year. :) Happy Thursday!

Alice Audrey said...

OMG Linda was soooo funny!! I only wish I'd been facing the screen so I didn't get a crick in my neck.

And to heck with the market! But do your research. :)

Cassandra said...

Dang nabbit! I wish I'd been there. Le sigh. Sounds like you had a great time. ((hugs))

Cora's got us covered this Thursday at the MMC with her 13 Favorite Movie Heroines. Stop by if you get a chance and see if you agree.

http://midnightmooncafe.blogspot.com

Paige Tyler said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Elise Logan said...

I'd definitely agree with point #13. I could hurt someone.

Fun list, though.

Christina DeLorenzo said...

These posts make me so jealous...really wish I could have been there. Great list, though!

http://christinadelorenzo.blogspot.com/

Shelley Munro said...

The market thing made me laugh because I've been trying to get my head around it and in the end had decided to write what I wanted to.

Never get between romance readers and free books. LOL - I remember the scary feeling well!

jamiebabette said...

Great list. No. 13 is so true. :) Happy T13!

Lauren Murphy said...

I REALLY like 3 and 13. It sounds like I missed an awesome conference this year.

Janice said...

Oh, I would so be like Jade Lee and have a fan girl moment for Jim Butcher. I have all his Dresden file books.

Happy TT.

Janice~

Heather said...

Glad you had a great conference!

Alexia Reed said...

It was so great meeting you! It was an awesome conference and I was sad that it was over so soon.

Brenda ND said...

Thanks for the tips! It sounds like you learned a lot at Nationals.