Thursday, September 3, 2009

13 Interesting Links

Here are 13 links I've run across on twitter in recent weeks.
  1. A Romance Novel for Michelle Obama. This is a pretty cool article about a Romance author handing her novel to President Obama.
  2. Teresa Says It Loud and Says It Proud: I WRITE ROMANCE NOVELS!!! Emotional piece about writing Romance. Made me tear up.
  3. Suvudu Free Library. This site posts free e-books, usually older books or the first in a series. Usually SF/F, but some are Romance. Authors include Anne McCaffrey, Keri Arthur, Jennifer Stevenson, Karen Marie Moning and Lara Adrian. (Also check out $1 Orbit Books)
  4. The Case for Steampunk Romance, a post at Dear Author by Heather Massey of The Galaxy Express that explains Steampunk. The comments are worth the read as well.
  5. What the Heck is it? Sub-genres in Fantasy and Science Fiction. A post that explains the genres in SF/F. Ever heard of mannerpunk?
  6. Changes at Samhain Publishing. Changes in editors and PR.
  7. Sex on the Kindle. She actually begins the article: "Sony recently unveiled its new e-reader into a market that's red-hot—in part, thanks to closet fans of cheesy romance novels and tween lit who don’t want you to see what they’re reading." (emphasis mine) But, she gives Liquid Silver Books a mention, which is cool.
  8. Ran across two interesting posts about Gothic Romance. One on the occasion of the release of The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber (at popculturedivas). The article explains Gothic Romance.
  9. Previously, I also found a more scholarly article on Gothic at the blog, Teach Me Tonight. Since my upcoming Samhain release is Gothic/Historical Paranormal Romance, I'm hoping the genre gets a little love.
  10. The New Yorker lists Seven Essential Fantasy Reads.
  11. John Scalzi posts on Worldbuilding, Briefly. His approach to worldbuilding which I found to be pretty cool. (I can't quite completely do it his way, but I like his explanation, a lot).
  12. The 2009 Hugo Awards, Dramatic Presentation: Short Form goes to Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog, Joss Whedon.
  13. Jeannie Lin blogged on Men: The Appeal of Warrior Culture at Unusual Historicals. Love historicals based on warrior culture. In historical romance, I love them Vikings.

16 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

This is an interesting selection. It occurs to me I should click more of the links I see over there.

David Bridger said...

This is a good selection of links. Thanks for the reading material. :)

Unplugged said...

Interesting list! I will check out the links. I am most intrigued :)

Happy T-13!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Cool links! I don't spend much time on Twitter. Maybe I should. LOL Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

Inez Kelley said...

I love Jeannie's link!

Angeleque Ford said...

Very interesting list. I'm going to read through them now.

Adelle Laudan said...

I'll be back to check out some of your links better. Looks like you went to a lot of trouble to post them. Happy T13!

sophiaparkwood said...

I will be checking out 1,2,3,4,6,11,and 13. There goes my morning of writing. Great links! Happy Thursday.

Heather said...

Interesting selection of links. I think the only one I'd seen previously was the first.

My Blog

Jennifer Leeland said...

You always have the best links!!! I love coming here.
And I checked out "mannerpunk". Who knew? Very weird.

Paige Tyler said...

Great links! I don't Twitter a lot and didn't see them, but I had to run right over and read some of them!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Flicka Holt said...

Mostly, i can't read titter links because I catch them on my phone. But
I read Teresa's post too and loved it. Will check out the steam punk one! I have lots of love for steampunk.

I wish I could write Gothic Romance. Alas, I lack the touch.

Janice said...

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check some of them out right now.

Happy TT.
Janice~

etchinstone said...

I found that my love for Twitter really started when I realized how many awesome links people posted through the network - awesome list!

Alexia Reed said...

I'm agreeing with Adelle on this one. I should really check out more links on twitter!

Ella Drake said...

Thanks Alice, David, Unplugged, Stephanie, Inez, Angeleque, Adelle, Sophia, Heather, Paige, Janice, & Alexia.

As for twittering more, I'm not sure. I should probably read less twitter. But, once school starts and I get back into my writing projects, I doubt I'll be twittering as much.
Jennifer, thank you so much. I try. :) & Mannerpunk-never heard of it before. The things you learn on the great WWW.
Flicka, I love Gothic Romance & had so much fun writing The Forbidden Chamber. I haven't written another one, but I have one
etchinstone, all the wonderful links and info posted there & nowhere else is what keeps me on Twitter. I definitely love that.