Thursday, June 4, 2009

13 Space Movies/Series

Loved the new Star Trek movie and am eagerly awaiting Moon starring Sam Rockwell (big fan). So after reading a post by author Crystal Jordan about watching Star Trek and other movies that "refill the well," I thought I'd list the movies that do that for me.
These are movies that I have queued up for inspiration while I work on a Space Opera novella. They are all Space movies or television shows, though not necessarily Space Opera. I own most of these, or I want to own/have access to them.
  1. Firefly/Serenity
  2. Riddick (Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick)
  3. Galaxy Quest
  4. Star Wars (the original trilogy)
  5. Titan A.E.
  6. Independence Day
  7. Babylon Five
  8. Alien
  9. The Fifth Element
  10. Starship Troopers (ya gotta be in the mood for this one.)
  11. Wing Commander (this one is so bad, it's good)
  12. Farscape
  13. Star Trek, in it's many incarnations.

In the past, I've watched shows like Andromeda and Earth Final Conflict, but I haven't rewatched those since they were canceled. You can bet that the new Star Trek will be making this list when it hits DVD & will be rewatched a number of times!
I would seriously love any recommendations, so if you have a space movie that inspires you, let me know. Or if not a space movie, what movie inspires you?

9 comments:

Adelle Laudan said...

I'm going to have to watch Firefly. I can't count how many times I've seen it mentioned. I've seen many of the others listed. Good luck with the Space Opera!
Happy T13!

Ms Menozzi said...

Man...I am so out of touch with my Sci-Fi lovin' roots, now. I used to be fanatical, but now, I'm pretty "meh" about the genre.

However, shows like Firefly rekindled my interests. I think I need to recharge my batteries when I'm in the US this summer and seek out some good old-fashioned Sci-Fi again. :)

Ciao!
Happy TT!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great list, Ella. The family and I can't wait to see Star Trek (the movie)! :) Happy Thursday!

Alice Audrey said...

Great list!!

I wish I could have more Riddick. I love anime, but the cartoon Riddick doesn't cut it.

Mary Quast said...

You mean there are other movies that aren't made by Disney out there? Wow! I need to get out more.

Shelley Munro said...

I love Firefly and Farscape. I have both of those on DVD. I must grab them out and watch them again.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I LOVE the Riddick movies. The Star Wars series, Outlander and Ultraviolet get me in the futuristic mood too.
Love these.

Brenda ND said...

I love FireFly too. My list is a lot like yours. Take Care.

Heather said...

Sorry to have missed this last week.

I can only claim to have seen or to own three of these -- Star Wars, Independence Dayand The Fifth Element. Have never cared for the Star Trek series.