Thursday, May 14, 2009

13 Fictional half-demons

Thirteen is a number with a reputation as unlucky, spooky, or even evil. 13 being the number today, I thought I share a list of fictional half-demons with you...

Why half-demons? Two of the four manuscripts I have completed and are out under consideration have either a demon or half-demon. Seems I'm partial to demon stories.

A Cambion is a half-human/half-demon offspring from a succubus/incubus union with a human. A Nephilim is a type of being whose origins have various religious interpretations. One view is that Nephilim are the offspring of fallen angels (daemons) and human women. So, with those definitions in mind, here are some half-demons in fiction/folklore.

  1. Merlin, a Cambion according to some Arthurian legends.
  2. Goliath, of David and Goliath fame, has been called a Nephilim.
  3. Caliban, the son of the witch Sycorax in The Tempest by William Shakespeare, is a cambion
Half-demon Heroines in Romance.
  1. Hope Adams from Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong
  2. Samantha from The Immortals: The Redeeming by Jennifer Ashley
  3. Roxanne from The Demon's Daughter by Emma Holly
  4. Tayla in Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
  5. Mika in Through A Crimson Veil by Patti O'Shea
  6. Simone in Dream Chaser by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Yummy half-demon heroes
  1. Nic, in Hunting the Demon by Jaci Burton (she has several more books in her demon hunter series with half-demons)
  2. Alex Ryan, a cambion in Guardian Seductress by Gracie C. McKeever
  3. Javed, a half-demon, half-vampire in Nocturne Bite: Mortal Enemy, Immortal Lover by Olivia Gates
  4. Vedo, my fictional Nephilim from Scenting Cinnamon, a story out under submission.

If you'd like more books with these types of heroes and heroines, check out other books tagged with Nephilim at LibraryThing, or half-demon.

Why do the greater share of half-demons in Romance tend to be the heroine? Is it because a male half-demon may come off as too strong? I'm not sure that's the case, since the hero in most of these books is pretty powerful as well.
Have you read a great story with a half-demon?

Have a great Thursday!

12 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

Interesting take on Merlin. I hadn't heard that about him.

Ms Menozzi said...

I haven't read any of these titles, and I have to confess that I never dreamed these creatures would make such popular characters.

Interesting stuff...!

Ciao!
Happy TT!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Wicked! I love demons. Bwahahahaha ... Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

Adelle Laudan said...

Interesting. I learned something new today. Thanks! Happy T13!

Brenda ND said...

Interesting Ella,
The whole idea of half-something, half alien, half elven, half vampire, half-whatever, intrigues me. Happy TT!

Paige Tyler said...

Love Hope Adams! Love Kelley Armstrong's books! LOL!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

I had not heard that about Merlin, either. Don't think I've read any books with half-demon leads, though there was a half-demon secondary character in a couple of the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Lanie Fuller said...

Very interesting list! Never heard that about Merlin.

My favorite half-demon from TV is Cole from Charmed, LOL.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Ooooo very cool!!!!! Loved this.

Ella Drake said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such wonderful comments. I'd meant to link the Merlin info. If anyone's curious, there's article at Wikipedia.And Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors. Love her books!

rjlebeau.com said...

I didn't know that about Merlin!

jamiebabette said...

Fun idea for a post. I've read Dream Chaser. I also like half-blood characters, caught between their two heritages always offers interesting tensions.
Happy T13 :)