Saturday, October 4, 2008

For fellow writers -- Word Macros

I've shared this with friends before, and thought I'd share again. This time, I'm putting it here so I can get feedback/questions, which I may or may not be able to help with.

There are two macros.

HiLite will run in Word to find a list of words (which you can edit) and highlight them. I haven't written an install, but here's how it works. If you have Word 2003, download this Weakwords.doc. Be sure to have macros enabled in Word. If you have Word 2007, this is the version you need: WeakWords.docm. The macro uses a dictionary file (download) which needs to go with other dictionary files, here: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof\CautionList.dic.
The macro searches for "ly" words and highlights them.
It also highlights all of the weak words in a manuscript. What constitutes weak? I put together a list from online how-to sites for writers, but I've since edited this down for my own writing style. Edit the words to reflect you own watch/problem words. You can open the dictionary file in notepad or word and edit it. It's essentially a text file.

The Word Frequency macro will list every word with the number of times it appears in the document.
Let me know if you have any questions/comments.

4 comments:

Jessa Slade said...

Cool tool! I can add shrugged, glared, gazed, glanced, turned, loosed, and the half a hundred other faves I can't stop myself from using :) Thanks for posting this.

I hope it's okay that I post this link to my RWA chapter. We had talked about something like this awhile back.

Say, are you on Facebook or Twitter? I've been using that to keep track of the interesting people I meet out here. Geez, that sounded stalker-y :)

Ella Drake said...

By all means, share with anyone who is interested! And nope, no facebook and twitter at this point. Maybe one day...

Minnette Meador said...

This is wonderful, Ella - I just downloaded this and it works great. I'm going to share this over at Gather and have put your link on my writer's resource page on my website. Thanks so much for sharing! M:)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I would love to have this programe. When I tried to download the file "Weakwords.doc" your link doesnt work.

Any chance you could repost or send the link in an email to: bcsjessie at aol dot com

I had to post annoymously as I cant find my gmail password..drats.

Jessie