Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Writing Tools -- Investigation

After seeing a few different discussions, blogs, etc. on software to support authors, I decided to evaluate some of the tools out there. In this first entry, I'm going to outline the products I'll be evaluating and then will post follow-ups as I go.

First, let me start by saying that I received a free copy of Microsoft Office 2007 and already had a copy of OneNote 2007. Another caveat, I use excel and flow-charting software for my day job. I'm extremely comfortable using all types of "business" software, and so far have been fairly happy with my hobbled together system, which I'll outline in my next posting. But, I've found some holes, especially in analysis of word usage (for instance, a word count to determine if I'm over using a particular word). I also currently use CutePDF and Flow Chart Maker Pro.

I'll be evaluating Windows apps only. I do have a Mac, but I work on my Windows laptop. Here's the list I'll be reviewing:

Liquid Story Binder
Writer's Cafe
FreeMind
Write Way
WriteItNow

Power Writer

Another evaluation of writing software, worth reading:
http://crystalking.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/ready-for-nanowrimo-check-out-these-creative-writing-tools-software/
And a collection of open source tools:
http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php/articles:writerapps
Am I missing anything?

Besides the tool suites listed above, I'll be compiling a list of word analysis tools, later.

1 comment:

Portia Da Costa said...

Glad you're having fun with the short story! :)