Monday, August 27, 2007

Reading -- "Finders Keepers"

Finders Keepers
by Linnea Sinclair
Saw a blurb about Linnea Sinclair's upcoming book "Down Home Zombie Blues." I have to admit, I haven't read anything by her and was surprised I haven't, considering she's a "SF Romance" author, writing about daring space captain heroines. I love "space opera" type SF. And, even better, people who know me have often heard me say how much I love "women with a gun" movies and books. This fits the bill, and it's romance to boot!

"Finders Keepers" does not disappoint. Both starfreighter captain Trilby Elliot and downed fighter pilot Rhis Vanur are strong characters who both feel instant attraction, but have to overcome the problems inherent in coming from very different worlds, literally. The action is fun, the pacing fast, the plot was easy to follow--not always the case with SF. The world building was straight-forward and airtight. I was able to understand the other-worldly names and politics.

I really enjoyed this one. When I was done, I wanted more. What's next for Trilby and Rhis?

1 comment:

Ella Drake said...

Now that I've started looking into definitions of genre, I've started feeling a little guilty for associating "Finders Keepers" with space opera. It really shouldn't be considered one. It doesn't fall back on formula, nor does it have the good vs. evil thing going on. Lots of other reasons it's not a space opera. But most of all, it's got more depth of character, rather than a sweeping cast of stereotypes. Space Opera has it's place, and they are great. Lots of fun. But, this isn't one.